mypicturedlifea photographic record of my life

DIY Power Amp MK II

The original MK 1 version used heatsinks from a Cambridge A5, and these heatsinks simply were not up to the job.

Having spent a fair amount of time unsuccessfully trying to source suitable heatsinks, I eventually went in search of a donor amplifier, and knowing that most Rotel models have generously rated heatsinks, I found an RB-956AX on Ebay for a good price, so I bought it.

I initially used the Rotel transformer, but the voltage was found to be too low, so I reverted to my original plan of using two toroidal transformers from a Cambridge A5.

These can be seen in the MK III version.